Getting set up
- Trello account
- CivicActions Organization membership
Trello terms with their Trac equivalent.
- Board = Instance/Project
- List = Milestone/Sprint
- Card = Ticket
- Label (color) = Component
Advantages (needs more writing)
- very easy to use
- Always "big picture" view of everything
- 90% of its features get used, so it doesn't feel
- Great live editing capabilities
- Drag and drop all over the place
- Excellent notification capabilities
Disadvantages (needs more writing)
- Sometimes feels a little TOO easy to make changes.
- Less time tracking capability than Trac
- not compatibile with 7 yr old computers (i'm unsure what the constraint is --kev)
- Not open source. It's free, but will likely become a "freemium" model.
Scrum on Trello
- Use Lists as Sprints, and active sprint would have three or four lists:
- Sprint X Backlog,
- Sprint X In Progress,
- Sprint X Testing,
- Sprint X Done.
- Install the Trello Scrum extension
- This extension adds a User Point estimator (fibonacci method) to the title field (you can also just add an estimate as a numeral within parentheses, like this: (3) which would mean 3 hours.
- The extension shows a aggregate estimate beside the list title.
- Additionally, you can add numbers in square brackets which will show a second aggregate in the list title in a lighter blue font, conceivable used for tracking hours (or points spent). Also the extension will hide the bracketed number in the title and show a blue number in the card. (This feature is undocumented as far as i can tell. I stumbled on it by accident - dhn).
Kanban on Trello (needs more writing)
- this is the default Board (To do / In progress / Done).
- Very good for internal, regular tasks like Sales team, or Pod teams.
- If you have issues moving cards around on a board, it could because you have too many cards on one list (easily happens on to-do list boards) Remember to archive cards!
Extras, Helpers, and Plugins